Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Fall Simmer

When I was young I remember my mom putting some things in a small foil pie plate and setting it on the stove to help our home smell like Fall. When I saw Becky from CleanMama.net's post a few weeks ago I wanted to try it out for myself.



I didn't have any fresh cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, or sage leaves at my disposal (and I wouldn't have a use for them outside of this activity) so I just faked it. I simmered this all morning and when I came out of my room to grab a drink (I work in my bedroom while a nanny sits my kids for a few hours) I was so happy to smell deliciousness wafting through my home! Here's what I did:

1/2 water
1 tsp vanilla (I just did a lidful)
1 slice lemon (it was even old)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

I placed that in a glass oven-safe dish on LOW on my back burner for several hours. I'm pretty sure that Pyrex isn't 'stove safe', but I have done this with wax melts and haven't seen any issues because it doesn't get very hot. I was able to move the dish off the stove with bare hands, but if you're uncomfortable with it, you could probably just throw this in a pan like CleanMama does.



Here's the thing. It's not near as pretty as fresh herbs and spices........


My husband says that it smells like Christmas, which, if you're like me (and not ANTI Christmas until after Thanksgiving), that is a great thing!

What are some cheap ways you like to scent your home? Let me know if you try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment