Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Conference Kit - RAOK

Something that I get to do biannually is watch General Conference (follow the link to find out more and watch for yourself). General Conference is held the first Saturday and Sunday in April and October. Millions of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints gather together to hear prophetic counsel from men and women they sustain as leaders of their faith. For me, personally, it is a time I use to receive answers from the Lord through his servants and always come away from those weekends feeling rejuvenated and inspired to be a better version of myself.

In late September I sent my brother's family a small 'conference kit' for them to enjoy and to motivate them to watch General Conference. My brother has struggled with church activity for many years. Recently he and his wife have been doing extremely well spiritually and are working towards being sealed in the temple. My brother is a very loving person, and I've always known he has such a good heart, but there's something about the gospel of Jesus Christ that can take a good person and turn them into an incredible person. That's been true of my brother.

Chaddy, if you're reading, the gospel looks good on you ;)

I'm not going to say that this RAOK was really that big of a win. I sent the package with too little time, and they didn't get it until Saturday afternoon of conference. I made a second mistake that I'll mention later in the post, but the kit can be reused so it wasn't a total fail.

What I included in my kit:

What I was planning on including (that I forgot to include until it was being mailed)
I thought for sure that Deseret Book would have 3.5 X 5 inch picture cards of all of the apostles so when I got to my local store and they didn't I was at a loss. I've seen a few blog posts around the blogosphere with pictures of what I was imagining, but they must have designed their own (link to one example above - though it doesn't include the new apostles sustained in Oct '15). Regardless, at the time we didn't own a printer and so that idea was out. :(

I would still like to do that in the future (maybe a future post - stay tuned), not just for my brother's family, but for my own as well. They would be great to have on hand to help teach young children the names of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles and the Presidency of the Church.

The notepad and pens were intended for note-taking and doodling. My sister-in-law is an artist, so I was hoping to have something available to her for doodling while she watched, but, again, I dropped the ball.


When I was trying to figure out the logistics of mailing the package I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't really want to send two packages and risk them arriving at different times. When I bought the puzzle and realized that the puzzle was in a bag I decided to take the cellophane wrapper off the puzzle and stick the cards inside the box and mail everything in the puzzle box. Great idea. EXCEPT I forgot to mention in a note outside the box that there was more than just the puzzle inside, and therefore, my brother had no clue and they didn't end up using anything during conference. :(

So if you try to be too cheap like me, then at least remember to add a note. :S

No comments:

Post a Comment